Research Assistant for qualitative research
Makerere University – Yale University collaboration (MUYU) Research Scholar is seeking a Research Assistant for the Non-Communicable Diseases (NCD) management study.
The specific aims of this research are to assess knowledge, attitudes, & practices towards NCD education & management in Nakaseke district in Uganda. We would like to determine the barriers and facilitators to healthcare access for self-management of hypertension and diabetes mellitus.
This study will be conducted in three selected sub-counties of Nakaseke, Uganda. Sub-counties for sampling were selected based on proximity to African Community Center for Social Sustainability (ACCESS). ACCESS Uganda is a community-based organization in Nakaseke district, Uganda dedicated to working with vulnerable groups in resource limited settings through medical care, education and economic empowerment. For more information, please visit http://accessuganda.org/latest-news/
|Job summary/Responsibilities: |
Seeking a research assistant to assist an Intern from Yale School of Public Health on a qualitative study involving in-depth interviews of 30 patients, 30 Community Health Workers (CHWs), and 30 healthcare professions in three sub-counties of Nakaseke, Uganda. The position is anticipated to last for 5-7 weeks.
1. Conduct in-depth interviews with additional questions as necessary.
2. Translate the content of the interviews to the intern and interviewees.
3. Transcribe and translate the voice-recorded interviews.
Qualifications:Degree in Health related field a requirement. Those withMaster’s degree in Public Health are encouraged to apply. Additional training and experience in conducting in-depth interviews are preferred.
1. Able to travel to and from Kampala and Nakaseke every Mondays and Thursdays.
2. Able to attend training sessions
3. Willing to learn interview skills to obtain high-quality qualitative data.
4. Able to probe or ask additional questions during the in-depth interviews as they are necessary.
5. Able to speak, transcribe, and translate between Luganda and English.
6. Able to operate a voice recorder upon training.
*Prior knowledge on diabetes and hypertension are not required.
Please send an email with:
- a cover letter stating your prior experience and motivation.
- one reference letter.
please send to email@example.com the job title in the subject of your email.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interviews during the first week of July.
Deadline for receipt of applications: June 30th2016.